The MCSA Blue Chip Regatta is an annual event held during the third week of September at the Spring Lake YC in Michigan. This regatta brings together the top MC sailors of the country for two days of some of the toughest competitive racing you'll ever experience. There is also a mystery skipper, typically a nationally ranked sailor from another class whose participation further enlivens the competition.
This activity is complemented with bratwurst and beer after the practice races on Friday plus a great dinner on Saturday night. It is truly a memorable event and an honor to attend even if you come in last and have your name added to the plaque on the Gutterball trophy!
Invitations are based on demonstrated regatta performance between September 22, 20xx, and September 20, 20xx. Organizers of the event will issue invitations to all candidates who have earned at least one (1) point as defined below. The organizers may invite other skippers to further enhance the quality and competitive nature of this premier event. NOTE: Make sure regatta results are promptly and properly submitted to our Secretary -- firstname.lastname@example.org; they must contain the skipper's classification (Y, W, U50 or blank, M, GM, MM).
Some basic rules
- Points are awarded based on your classification and finishing position in a multi-fleet event.
- Points awarded at a regatta are not cumulative - use 'larger of' test
- Example: You are a GM and 1st overall finisher at a regional regatta with 14 entrants - that earns 1 point. As the top GM you are also eligible for 0.5 point
Points : Larger of 0.5 and 1.0 = 1.0 point
- Example: You are a GM and finish ahead of all Masters at a regional regatta with 24 entrants
Points : You receive a 0.5 point for being top GM
- Example: You are a Master and finish behind three GMs at regional regatta with 8 entrants
Points : Sorry, no points; you needed to finish within top two spots to earn Blue Chip points
- Example: You are a 46 year old male and finish 6th in a regional regatta with 60 entrants
Points : Sorry, no points; you needed to finish within top 5 places to earn Blue Chip points
- Participants are skippers who sailed, not just registrants; must have at least one non-letter race finish.
- No points are awarded if all participants belong to the same MC fleet.